We are currently researching several historic homes for the possibility of their involvement in the Underground Railroad. Please stay tuned!!!

Felicity Underground Railroad

In an 1896 edition of The Felicity Times editor Fletcher Day claims that the village of Felicity “was both famous and infamous as an abolition town. ... It is a fact that the slave felt in his innermost soul that if he could only reach Felicity he was safe.”

 

Inscription. This is the site of the home of William Sleet, a black abolitionist. A blacksmith, he was a prominent member of the Felicity Underground Railroad operation. Felicity was a very important community on the Underground Railroad that helped escaped slaves to freedom. Other key stations in the village included the Wesleyan Church (305 Main St.), the Felicity Cemetery (Light Street), the homes of Andrew Powell (416 Union St.) and Arthur Fee (1 Moores Ln.) and the store of Oliver Perry Spencer Fee (208 Main St.).
 
Erected by Village of Felicity and Franklin Township Historical Society.
 
Location. 38° 50.312′ N, 84° 5.851′ W. Marker is in Felicity, Ohio, in Clermont County. Marker is on Harrison Street, on the left when traveling east. 510 Harrison Street, Felicity OH 45120